Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Uprated brakes

I have been asked the make and spec of the competiton linings we are
using, the manafacturer is Mintex. The brake fluid is AP Lockhead 600
racing brake fluid.  As far as the spec is concerned for the shoes and
pads, I spent a lot of time and money trying different grade materials.
I can supply the pads and shoes, but I am unwilling to give this
information out.  This may sound a bit petty but I get fed up with
developing parts and tuning items for the Stag, to then have them copied
by other suppliers.  Sorry about this but the mortgage needs paying and
the kids need new shoes!

Mike asked me how the racing Stag was doing.  Well I have to say I am
very pleased with the progress.  The car was built last August and saw
its first race in September.  For this series all cars must be road
legal, modifications are very limited.

Suspension: must remain standard, all pick up points must be in their
original position, no rose joints or adjustable arms.  Rubber bush
material may be changed.  Shocks are free as are springs, lowering is
allowed.

Brakes: original calipers, discs, brake drums, cylinders and master
cylinder must be used, no ducting, venting, cross drilling or vented
discs, unless original equipment.  Lining material is free.

Gearbox: Must be original.  Ratios are free, no straight cut gears

Axle: Must be original.  No limited slip units unless a factory option
(Sadly this was not a option on the Stag).  Ratio is free.

Engine: Must be original type, original crankshaft, conrods, pistons,
carburetters, (This is the big restricting factor to power output).
Cams are free, valve size is free, exhaust manifolds are free.  Exhaust
must exit car in original position.

Bodywork: must be all original, no fiberglass panels.  No wheel arch
extensions, air dams or spoilers.

Interior: Must retain original interior, carpets may be removed,
driver's seat may be changed for competition type.

Electrics: Must be all original, including electric windows if fitted.

Wheels & tyres: period style alloy wheel may be used, maximum width for
the Stag is 6" original diameter 14".  Any tyre listed in the RAC Blue
Book may be used.

Weight: All cars must meet the minimum weight as per the manafacturer,
basic unladen weight.  The Stag is 1275kg

These are the basic regs, although some people do cheat.  I have
manipulated the rules in a few areas but The Stag meets all the above
regs.

The series is split into 6 classes: A 3000cc and above.  B 2001cc to
3000cc.  C Fiberglass cars 1301cc 2000cc.  D Metal bodied cars 1301cc to
2000cc.  E All cars up to 1300cc.  F Lotus 7 Cars

I am still developing the car but it gets quicker each time we go out,
the First race saw us some 10 seconds a lap behind the Datsun 240z's:
the Stags main rival.  The last race at Mallory saw us just 2 seconds a
lap slower. I dont think the Stag will ever win a race outright, and I
dont think it will beat the 240z's.  The Datsun puts out about the same
power at around 210bhp, but the 240's are 239kg lighter and have a
slippier body styling with less drag than the Stag.  To make up for
this, the Stag would need at least another 50BHP, but this is just not
possible with the original carbs.  I am now looking at further mods to
the suspension and braking system.

Unfortunatly there is no one else willing to race a Stag, lots of people
say they are produsing lots of power from the Stag engine, can make them
handle and brake, but no one will actually put one on the track to prove
there mods work.  It would also be nice to compair my Stag with another
properly prepaird Stag.

The other cars in the series are, Porsche 911 Datsun 240Z VW Porsche TVR
Tuscan, Lotus Eclat, Elan, Esprit, Europa, Lancia Beta, Lancia Fulvia,
Marcos MIni, Ginetta G15, Lotus 7, Triumph TR6, Spitfire, GT6, Jenson
Interseptor.

Next race Brands Hatch 6th June.

A.D. St,John-Hart

Tel: 0181 963 1080