Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: overdrive

In a message dated 5/17/99 10:53:45 AM Central Daylight Time, philb@domain.elided
writes:

<< The TR6 allows the overdrive to be engaged in 2nd, 3rd, & 4th. As far as
 I can tell there is no mechanical reason it could not be operated in 1st
 gear. Just be sure it is disengaging for reverse.

 I just recently bled the slave cylinder and had a similar problem. What I
 finally found was the pick up in the bottom of the reservoir is pretty
 high and I was actually draining it with only a few pumps of the pedal.
 The other thing to check is the plastic tubing from the master to the
 slave, be sure there are no cracks that could leak air. A crack here
 could be nearly invisible.

 Good luck, let me know what you find. >>

Thanks, Philip.  Are you sure that the TR6 OD is supposed to work in 2nd?  My
GT6 OD did, but I fabricated a bracket and put in a lockout switch for 1st,
2nd, and reverse.  Before I put the switch in, it would slip the OD clutch in
2nd.  If your TR6 doesn't have a lockout for reverse, I'd install one.  If
you ever forget to switch out of OD and then backup, you'll trash the box.

I think I'll replace the clutch hose as you suggest.  Mike Wattam suggested
that the slave cylinder might be installed upside down with the bleed port on
the bottom and he was exactly right.  I turned it right side up, but still
got alot of air when I bled it.  The actuating pushrod moves about twice as
far now, though and it feels like a clutch now.

Thanks,
Frank Magnusson
Wichita, KS USA