Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: 1971 Stag

PGAHOWELLS@domain.elided wrote:

> Hi
>
> So you saw the USA prices USdollars 2500 rustfree.

No I saw it as 2500 UKP rustfree - the original mail said it was
rustfree.

> My 6300 pounds on the Canadian would be nowhere near concours.
> For that we would need to be talking engine out and paint job underneath and
> engine bay.

If 2000 UKP doesn't include painting the engine bay and underneath then
I would go somewhere else !(I paid 1300 UKP for prep and 2 pack inside &
out, top & bottom 4 years ago).

> New hood
> New Hardtop

OK (hardtop optional).

> New fascia wood
> New instruments

I would have thought 1000 UKP would have covered these aswell (new
instruments maybe over the top) !

> Completely stripped and powder coated hood frame and suspension
> New brake lines

OK.

> New loom

Probably not necessary even for concours.

> And so on and so on
> Your ten k over nine years includes maintenance and is OK.

No - no maintenance as it hasn't reached the road yet ! Also doesn't
include purchase price of 2500 UKP. So it probably adds up to just a bit
more than yours.

> My car which is not that good has cost 14K over 9 nine years, but in 1990 the
> price I paid was mucher higher than it would be today.

Same here !

> My 14 k  is 3.5 to buy, 7 to repair(Engine 2K auto+diff 1K rack + suspension
> 1K+ 1k 100percent brake system + 2K on tyres alternator new hood, other
> stuff) , 3.5 to maintain  and cover 45000 miles. Over 200 parts orders and 25
> service bills.
> In 1990 some Stags then were being offered around 18 to 25 and the whole
> world was going mad. Now you can get a 100percent concours for 15K. A good
> show winner at about 8 to 10. I think a full restoration by professionals,
> using normal parts, and not leather interior etc, would cost 15 to 18.

Agreed.

> Sob not, your parameters are fine.

Thanks, well hopefully it will be all worthwhile when I finish it !

Best wishes,

Dave.

--
	Dave Biggs