Stag/Stag Digest Archive

1971 Stag

For the last two years I've been dreaming of this moment - now i've
found a 1971 Stag in red (originally saffron) and black interior. We
started the car after a seven year absence from duty and after maybe an
hour on a charger she fired right up and stalled a few times due
possibly to some fuel leaking from generally below the carbs (could the
floats have been stuck from lack of use ? Anyway we drove the car
outside into the bright British Columbia sunshine and ran the engine for
about an hour at just over 1000 rpm and the temp gauge didn't even climb
halfway. Is this a good sign ? I think it is.
Also the leaking fuel problem disappeared !
Some bulbs don't work and the car has been resprayed some time ago
(years ago) and is not too bad.
There are some signs of wear inside, and the interior needs to be
refurbished, the wood has aged but is not too bad and the tonneau cover
still comes out of it's well in good shape a little faded but no cuts
and the mechanism is a little stiff but works quite well.The hard top is
also in good shape and has a heated rear screen, although the chrome
trim along both left and right lower edges is missing (the clips are
still there)
The present owner says that both tops leak a little along the front edge
and I don't think this is too much to cry about for a 29 year old car
(any easy solutions welcome - short term of course !) The car has the
original v8 and seems very clean in the engine bay. The suspension
mounts front and back appear to be strong and the front fenders look
original especially around the wheel well edges.
The car has wire wheels and one is missing some spokes and so the spare
wire wheel is on at the moment. Estimated cost of fixing a wire wheel ?
I think I can buy this car for $9K Canadian or less.
Any comments welcome. I don't know why I'm asking, I really like the car
and I think I've covered the worst items - Maybe I need some reassurance
!
Sorry for the rush but I need some answers asap as I'm terrified of
missing this chance at what looks like a basically sound vehicle that
will need some cosmetics internally and eventually a full repaint to
make it really smart. There is no rust visible on the body and I plan to
do a proper inspection at a garage who do British car restorations
locally.
In anticipation, Gordon and Barbara Foster (Been watching this site for
2 years)
and hoping to be Staggering home soon !