Stag/Stag Digest Archive

IT RUNS!! WOOHOO!!!

Well, after 2 month's of various work and a 10 year hibernation, IT RUNS!!
WOOHOO!! (with apologies to Homer Simpson).  With some starting fluid and a
little choke it fired right up.  It ran a little rough for the first minute
and then smoothed right out.  Lots of blue smoke for awhile from all of the
oil that I had poured in the cylinders earlier and then drained, but it
cleared up in about 5 minutes.  Ran very smoothly.  Sounds great.  Just had
the downpipes on.  I'm still planning on changing the timing chains and
spockets and cleaning out the oil pump pickup strainer as recommended by the
Practical Classics book.
I do have a few questions:
1.  Oil pressure was right at 40 psi at idle (40 wt; 65 deg F).  Does this
sound about right?
2.  If the oil pressure is where it should be, is there any point in pulling
the oil pump and measuring the clearances?
3.  Voltage is at 12-12.25v up to 2000 RPM; didn't run it any higher.  Does
this sound about right?
4.  Prior to starting, the fuel pump ran rapidly until the system came up to
pressure, and then slowed to about 1-2 pulses/sec.  Is this right or do I
have leak somewhere?  I didn't see any gas pouring out and I just replaced
both float needles.  On my Healey 3000, the electric pump pulses about once
every 5-10 seconds after it is up to pressure.
TIA,
Frank Magnusson
Wichita, KS, USA.