Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Reinforced hoses

Dave Biggs wrote:

> I bought a new hose from Rimmers that goes from the radiator to the
> expansion bottle. I was surprised to see that it was unreinforced,
> looked like it had been hacked off the end of a reel and the internal
> diameter looked a bit on the large side.
>
> It will probably be OK as it is only a small diameter pipe relative to
> the wall thickness but I wasn't impressed !
>
> I only ordered it from Rimmers as I was ordering some SD1 bits at the
> same time. I tend to favour James Paddock or SOC.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave.
>
> --
>         Dave Biggs
>         Senior Design Engineer
>         Fujitsu Telecommunications Europe Ltd,
>         Birmingham Business Park,Solihull Parkway, Birmingham, B37 7YU.
>         mailto:D.Biggs@domain.elided  tel: 0121 717 6094  efax: 0121 717 6014

Hi,

I bought the expansion bottle kit, MK2 and got the bottle, retaining
clip, cap, hose and two jubilee clips.

The bottle, cap, and retaining clip are lovely, but the hose was as you
said. Too fat with too big a bore. The jubilee clips they supplied were,
conversely, too small. I got two other clips, and put it together.
It's been several months, and it doesn't leak so I'm not worried, but
I'm sure all Rimmers do is chop a couple of feet off from a reel of
the said hose. It's not a pattern part by any means. Your local motor
factor will undoubtably be able to chop you off a piece that has
a far more suitable bore, and of a known reinforcement quality.

Regards, Dave MK2 RoverV8 Pimento.