Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Fw: IBM WARNING OF NEW VIRUS

John Clayton wrote:

> I'm forwarding this to the Stag Digest as it appears to be
> a genuine warning.

> >  DO NOT OPEN IT.

Please, not "Guts to Say Jesus" again...

This is yet another virus hoax, just like "Good Times". For those of us
who haven't yet learned to recognise the signs of an e-mail virus hoax,
please go to Symantec's Virus Hoax Page at
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/hoax.html. About "Guts to Say Jesus",
it says, (quote)

                 This information is a hoax and should be ignored.

                 Sample of hoax message:

                     VIRUS WARNING !!!!!!!
                     If you receive an email titled "It Takes Guts to
                     Say 'Jesus'" DO NOT open it. It will erase
                     everything on your hard drive. Forward this
                     letter out to as many people as you can. This is a
                     new, very malicious virus and not many people
                     know about it. This information was announced
                     yesterday morning from IBM; please share it
                     with everyone that might access the internet.
                     Once again, pass this along to EVERYONE in
                     your address book so that this may be stopped.
                     Also, do not open or even look at any mail that
                     says "RETURNED OR UNABLE TO
                     DELIVER." This virus will attach itself to your
                     computer components and render them useless.
                     Immediately delete any mail items that say this.
                     AOL has said that this is a very dangerous virus
                     and that there is NO remedy for it at this time.
                     Please practice cautionary measures and forward
                     this to all your online friends ASAP.

(end quote) Sound familiar? Before you further propagate any of these
hoaxes (they all sound similar when you read them) check them out at the
page I gave you above.

Now, for your amusement, here is a spoof of all e-mail virus hoaxes.
It's called "Bad Times". Keep this in mind whenever you recieve one of
these warnings. If it reminds you of "Bad Times", it's probably a hoax.

(quote)

WARNING, VIRUS ALERT:

If you receive an email message with a subject line of "Badtimes,"
delete it immediately WITHOUT reading it.  This is the most dangerous
virus yet
developed.

It will rewrite your hard drive.  Not only that, but it will scramble
any computer disks and cassette tapes that are even close to your
computer (up to 20 feet).

It will recalibrate your refrigerator's coolness setting so all your ice
cream melts and your milk curdles.  It will demagnetize the strips on
all your credit
cards, reprogram your ATM access code, screw up the tracking on your VCR
and use subspace field harmonics to scratch any CDs you try to play.

It will give your ex-boy/girlfriend your new phone number.  It will
program your phone autodial to call only your mother's number. It is
insidious and subtle.
 It is dangerous virus to be taken very seriously.

It will mix antifreeze into your fish tank.  It will drink all your
beer.  It will hide your car keys when you are late for work and
interfere with your car radio
so that you hear only 1940's hits and static while stuck in traffic.

It will give you nightmares about circus midgets.

It will replace your shampoo with Nair and your Nair with Rogaine, all
while dating your current boy/girlfriend behind your back and billing
their hotel
rendezvous to your Visa card.

It will seduce your grandmother. It does not even matter if she is dead,
such is the power of "Badtimes;" it reaches out beyond the grave to
sully those things
we hold most dear.

It will overwrite your word documents, changing all your active verbs to
passive tense and incorporating undetectable misspellings which grossly
change the
interpretation of key sentences.

Badtimes will give you Dutch Elm disease.  It will leave the toilet seat
up and leave the hairdryer plugged in dangerously close to a full
bathtub.  It will
remove the forbidden tags from your mattresses and pillows, and refill
your skim milk carton with whole.

Badtimes is an evil virus conceived by evil people.  It is your duty to
help alert the world!

PLEASE FORWARD THIS MESSAGE TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW!!!

(end quote) Get the joke?

Wayne Simpson                                   wsimpson@domain.elided
                                    http://www.cybercomm.net/~wsimpson

     Original owner, 1980 TR8 #TPVDV8AT213188
     Posieden Green, Golden Tan Check

Brick Township, NJ                              I actively fight SPAM!