Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: BODYWORK/WELDERS

Alastair.Wilson@domain.elided wrote:

> Yikes.
>
> My rear-end re-build throws up yet more interesting "little" problems.
> There's lots of air and rust where the nearside rear road spring joins the
> body.    Is the shaped seating for it in the bodywork some sort of separate
> welded in unit?   Looking at the offside, the middle of this also seems to
> be solid (needless to say the nearside one no longer is) with a small drill
> hole in it.    Also, will I need to remove some or all of the wheel arch
> and repair from above?
>
> All this cutting and re-shaping needs some MIG welding.    Before I buy
> one, does anyone have a second-hand (and fully operational one) for sale at
> a reasonable price?  It doesn't need to be a particularly heavy duty one as
> most of the repairs are cosmetic and anything structural/safety critical
> (as the above problem may well be) will be left to the professionals.

Alistair,

The spring cups for the rear springs are/were available but how easy
they are to replace I don't know. I suspect that there is a I_I shaped
piece which wraps around the chassis rail and then the cup is welded on
the bottom of it. Obviously measure its position before you cut the old
one out !

Good luck,

Dave.

--