Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Strange Speedo behaviour

Dear All,

Over the last few times driving the Stag my eye has caught on the behaviour
of the speedo. It seems strange and I wondered if there was a logical
explanation. Here is what happens.

From rest, I accelerate (medium hard) through the gearbox. At say 35MPH, in
3rd (O/D out), I ease back on the throttle to stop accelerating. Just at
this point, the speedo "kicks" up about 3-5MPH to say just under 40MPH, yet
the car had stopped acceleraqting!.

It almost seems as if there is some "stored lag" in the system that gets
released when the tension in the drive train is released.

FYI I have a MK1 car, with 4 speed Manual O/D and a MK1 speedo.

Curiously ..... David Kirk