Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Restoration: In Need Of Dire Help

Hi To All,
    My name is Alex, and after searching for any help regarding my Stag, it
seems that I have found the perfect place! I own a 1972 model and has around
70k miles on the clock. It has never had a rebuild and is driven for only 1
month a year, since 1997. The reason for this is that the car is in a
warehouse in Cyprus. In the summer of '97 we had the car taken to a garage
in Cyprus where it was though that the car was going to go under a full
overhaul. We live in England, and agreed that the parts he needed were sent
to him via shipment. All was fine, until we realised that the job was utter
shite and he charged a hefty tag for a job where the paint had drip marks,
and the engine was not even touched. Furthermore, we paid for equipment that
was not even put on the vehicle.
    Anyway, we are considering to bring the car back home, and discussions
about who is going to restore it arises. I have read a lot about the car,
i.e.: from the Haynes  workshop manual (is it good?), and the stag workshop
manual. In fact mostly everything regarding the car I have learnt about
(including from the Digest Listings,) and possibly feel confident in
undertaking the task of restoring the car my self.
    If not, can I ask whether, any of the readers here have any insight into
the restoration process and advise me on which garage I can entrust the car
to.; and You see, the problem that I feel is that, if I did the car, I would
not care how long it took to complete, but I know that the final product
would be excellent, and I would feel very proud of the job (and I am sure
many other people here would undoubtedly agree with me). Would the same be
true if I gave the car to a garage to restore, i.e.: would it be a good job
and not one where things are left half done?
    I apologise to all those who take offence in what i said, but you must
understand that we have gone through a rough patch with the last mecanic,
and the last thing i want to happen is for the whole fiasco to repeat itself
once again.

I thank you all
A. Christo

Ps: You can also contact me privately if needed (Alexander.C@domain.elided)