Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Carb problem need help

What I have found on my Rover V8 Stag is the following.

When the engine was hot and turned off for a short period it would start
without problems, if it was left for 20mins - 30 mins, it would not start
easily.

Also the when the engine was hot the tick over was lumpy.

After overhauling the carburettors the problem remained.

After fitting some 12mm Aluminium spacers the same shape as the gaskets
between the Carburettor's and the inlet manifold, and purging air into the
manifold via a 5mm hole drilled into the spacer. (to control the amount of
air a 5mm piece of air pipe and restrictor was added), this sorted out the
tick over problem, however the problem with staring remained.

The next thing that I did was to replace the Aluminium spacer with a PTFE
one (Without air purge), this cured the tick over and so far also the
starting problem.

This would indicate that problem in my case was due to petrol boiling in the
carburettor.
1) At tick over the fuel was heating up and forcing too much petrol out
between the needle and jet.
2) The petrol was boiling away when it stood still with the engine hot.

I hope that this is some help, it worked for me!