Stag/Stag Digest Archive

brake MC

Hi Frank

From time to time I get techincal queries about this 'shortfall' between
how far the hydraulics will travel and its inability to free the clutch,
and this seems to happen with new clutches.

I have only ever come up with one consistent explanation, and that is that
the new clutch centre plate is too thick.  I have also found the locating
pin for the fork can shear inside the hole, allowing some free play and the
fork can partially rotate on the shaft until the broken pin 'bites' on the
shaft.

As on my own car the slave cylinder piston knocks the boot off all the
time, so I seem to have the same problem with a worn clutch although
engagement is fine.  Many Stags have butchered rods on master or slave
cylinder, or the spacers you refer to.

Whatever action you take now, you also need to find the cause in due
course.

IMHO - Mike Wattam
Chairman - Triumph Stag Register