Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Indicator stalk.

In message , Richard Brake <richard.brake@domain.elided> writes
>2000/2.5 MkII stalks are the same  (both inicators and wipers) as well
>as the binnacle and ignition lock. Check the moulded plugs as there are
>two types. Series One Stag = Saloons 70-73 (Grey Rubber plugs), Series
>Two Stag = Saloons 74-76 (white plastic plugs). You can swap between the
>two types as the colour codings are the same.  If you have to swap types
>then cut the end off of the old one and join the wires together.
>

>Richard  Brake
>richard.brake@domain.elided

Richard:
I don't think they are identical, at least the indicator / light switch
isn't. On the Stag, the dipped lights stay on dip all the time the
headlights are on, even when main beam is selected. On the Innsbruck,
the dip units (outer) have twin filaments and go onto a main beam when
this is selected by the column switch. At least that's the way it used
to be on mine.... and when I put a switch from an Innsbruck onto my Stag
(because I carelessly broke one of the indicator return ears trying to
"adjust" the upper steering column bearing without first removing the
switch) I had to rearrange the pins in the moulded plugs you mention.
Maybe it changed from year to year?

Also with respect to the fuel pump cut-out mentioned by Sujit, the
contacts inside this can corrode, giving the symptoms mentioned. It's
only a five minute job to whip it out, clean it up internally and
replace it.
--
Ian Soady