Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Liftoff!

FMags2@domain.elided wrote:

> George, sounds about like my weekend, but you're way ahead of me!  I put in a
> battery this weekend and started troubleshooting electrical stuff.  Of all
> things the clock actually works!  So does the fuel pump and the starter.  Ran
> the pump for a while and had the same result as you - big puddle of fuel under
> the engine - gas pumping out the carb overflow; must be a stuck float.
> Cranked the engine over with the plugs out to blow out the oil I loaded in the
> cylinders - cranked over fine.  Hope to start it in a week or so.  Now I have
> a question:  I think I have a bad ignition switch.  It has two positions out
> of off that are non spring loaded - the 'run' position, I guess.  Initially I
> thought I had a bad fuel pump, but on going to crank the engine the pump came
> to life.  When I turn the key in the spring loaded position, the electric fuel
> pump starts to run.  If I turn it further, the starter engages.  But, if I
> release the key to the 'run' position the electric pump does not run - is this
> correct?  On my Healey, it has 3 positions of the key - off, run, start.  In
> the run position the fuel pump will run until the system comes up to pressure,
> then it shuts off.  I expected this on the Stag, but it's different.  Any
> suggestions?  Do I have a bad switch or is it working as it's supposed to?

Frank,

The Stag ignition switch should have 4 positions :-

0 -   Off (steering lock on)
I -   Accessories ie radio
II -  Ignition circuits etc
III - Start (which should also keep the ignition circuits on)

The start position is spring loaded as you would expect.

Sounds like you have a dodgy switch !

Dave.
--
	Dave Biggs