Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: Steering Racks

Henry,
I've found that the power steering pump is relatively easy to take apart &
clean. The pump was built by GM Saginaw, and conventional wisdom on these
with US cars is that they almost never wear out, other than the seals. The
Stag parts suppliers I called didn't carry the reseal kit (this was several
years ago, maybe they do now), but since it's a common design, found that
the reseal kit for a 1974 Pontiac TransAm was a match. That's what both of
my '73 Mk II Stags have been using for several years now, both had leaking
racks that probably ran dry at least a few times. The pumps are probably
not 100 percent interchangable but the seals and o-rings have worked fine.