Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Hardtop Removal and Storage

Hardtop removal is not a two man job. Years ago, I purchased a simple,
inexpensive block and tackle rig made for Mercedes roadsters that
enables solitary removal and garage-ceiling storage. I have no reason to
suppose it's not still available through Merc aftermarket outlets
catering to such trade as well as mail order catelogs.

This consists of two small pulley's and a thin nylon rope network that
hooks to the ceiling by an eye ring. A T shape strap that fits under the
top at the B pillars and rear window meet above the top and connect to
the block and tackle above. Raising/lowering the top requires little
effort and is effected by pulling or lowering a single rope end that is
secured to a side wall in the storage position. Up or down takes about
ten minutes and normal parking beneath is no problem.

The above could be DIY (if you could figure out the pulley/rope
arrangement) but I doubt it would be worth the effort. I paid about $35
USD in 1975 and I'd guess it would be about $150 today. Muscle that top
by hand a few times and the above is cheap at any price.

WARNING: Storage position places the rear of the top at skull level and
the trailing outboard edges are sharp. You won't hit it while any car is
parked beneath---the problem arises when there is no car there. Pad it
with your ladies winter coat--she won't need it in top-off weather.
Regards, Chuck, LE7835, Alameda, CA