Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Repair parts needed

Well, I've just had a chance to look over my new(???) Stag, and there
are some things I need to get. I'm hoping that someone can point me in
some direction other than overseas on these.

1) Brake seals and hoses: After 10 years, pressing the pedal produces a
gurgle and a puddle of brake fluid at the base of each tire. The local
auto supply lists every TR, the Spit, and GT6, but no Stag. These are
Lockheed brake parts, so I can't imagine that this is the only car that
they're used on. Anyone got any sources or cross references?

2) Exhaust system: I don't know how much of it is not original, but the
section from the mufflers back is made of flexible exhaust pipe, and it
interferes with the parking brake cables.

3) Convertible top: If it's not availiable in the US, how much is it in
dollars? The old one is a rag, and I absolutely must have it on the car.
The hardtop has some rust holes, but can easily be welded. However, it's
not the kind of thing I want on the car all year round, since it takes 2
people to get get off.

4) Engine seal: dry rot had got this one, when we pulled the car up the
ramp, oil leaked out.

5) Door handles: The plastic part is gone. If I have to, I'll weld up
new ones from steel and paint them black for now.

One thing is for sure, I'm going to get my money's worth from my welding
gear all over again. Not that there's as much to be done on this car as
there was on my TR3, but I'm going to need all of the practice I got in
welding and sheet metal working to get it to an acceptable level.

George Richardson
'57 TR3, TS15559L
Most of a '72 Stag - LE8176E