Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Good News / Bad News

Fereday, Chris wrote:

> Good Morning All,
>
> Good News
> Ok, as previously reported, my lumenition sensor was in the worng place,
> preventing the fitting of a new vacuum unit and the distributor shaft could
> be turned backwards and forwards about 20 degrees (engine not running). The
> garage were unable to set the ignition timing due to these problems.
> I booked the car in for further investigation work. Inspection revealed that
> the pin that passes through the dist drive gear to the dist shaft had
> sheared. The pin is only secured on one side of the gear (the other side is
> a loose fit). With a new pin and drive gear fitted, lumenition sensor move
> and new vacuum unit fitted, the engine idles smoothly.
> The car is definitely more responsive and judging by the colour of the tail
> pipes, is more 'economic' now ( a nice grey colour instead of a sooty
> black).
>
> Bad News
> Depite all this (emissions checked and passed at 4.3%), the car still
> doesn't pull away very well. Its feels like the mixture is too weak. Does
> anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing it?

Chris,

The search continues !

A typical reason for he..he..hesitation is either holed carb diaphragms
or lack of oil in the dash pots.

4.3% CO sounds about right and not too weak but this is only measured at
idle. Maybe the carbs aren't very well balanced ?

Dave.
--
	Dave Biggs
	Senior Design Engineer