Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Good News / Bad News

Good Morning All,

Good News
Ok, as previously reported, my lumenition sensor was in the worng place,
preventing the fitting of a new vacuum unit and the distributor shaft could
be turned backwards and forwards about 20 degrees (engine not running). The
garage were unable to set the ignition timing due to these problems.
I booked the car in for further investigation work. Inspection revealed that
the pin that passes through the dist drive gear to the dist shaft had
sheared. The pin is only secured on one side of the gear (the other side is
a loose fit). With a new pin and drive gear fitted, lumenition sensor move
and new vacuum unit fitted, the engine idles smoothly.
The car is definitely more responsive and judging by the colour of the tail
pipes, is more 'economic' now ( a nice grey colour instead of a sooty
black).

Bad News
Depite all this (emissions checked and passed at 4.3%), the car still
doesn't pull away very well. Its feels like the mixture is too weak. Does
anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing it?

Thanks
Chris