Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: brake lines

Jeff,

The British do things differently!

Many Brit cars, my Mk 2 included, have brake fittings that are neither
metric nor common to American.  I found out to my cost when my local
parts man identified my brake lines as metric.  The funny thing is that
the Brit unions will thread into metric, but they won't work.  Now my
car has metal pipes for fuel, windshield washer lines, and vacuum
lines.  I couldn't return them after bending them up.

So who had the right pipes?  Pep Boys!  Yes, I know you don't believe it
(or was it Chief's?).

The point being that you need to be armed with information and a
persistant attitude.  Insist on being directed to the brake line
display, it will be a rack.  Even if it's all the way in the back and
company policy is to stiff dingbats who drive quarter century old Brit
cars.

Take a somple of both the male and female fittings.  INSIST on being
able to match your old gear to their new.

Knock em dead!

Kevin Harrop
'73 Stag w/ a Datsun Z engine
Los Angeles