Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Engine Number

Mike,

I just finished hunting down my engine number on my '71 MkI.

I found the telltale "UE" and what looked like a number preceeding it,
directly under the coil. The only way I could get in there with Simple
Green and a rag to clean off the area enough to read the number was to
remove the coil. The area the number is stamped is not a polished boss, it
just appear to be the outer casting that got punched.

Which brings another question. My engine number is almost 3000 _lower_ than
my commission number. All my prior Triumph experience is with TR's. On a
TR, engine numbers are generally a little higher than commission numbers.
By applying this, I suspect I do not have my original engine.

I havn't purchased my BMIHT build certificate yet, so I'm wondering from
those of you who have your certificates, does this sound like the original
engine?

Comm Number LE13213UO
Engine Nbr  LE10344UE

Thanks.

At 08:48 PM 3/8/99 -0000, Mike Stevenson wrote:
>Fellow Listers
>
>My Stag was built in October '71 and I thought that I'd find the engine
>number stamped on the block just below the plugs for nos 6 and 8 cylinders.
>I have the number on the registration document but I want  to check it for
>myself for my TSR application form.  Is it difficult to see/read or is my
>eyesight worsening?  I had no luck reading anything down between the
>distributor and coil either. Is this sinister?
>Regards
>Mike Stevenson
 Henry Frye - thefryes@domain.elided - Connecticut, USA
 Stag MkI  	Getting Sorted Out
 TR3B   	Driver
 TR250 X 3	The BIG Project - Will Be Worth the Wait
 Homepage	http://members.iconn.net/thefryes/