Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Steering Noise

Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 19:17:38 -0000
From: "Mike Stevenson" <mike.stevenson@domain.elided>
Subject: Steering related 'knock'

Fellow listers,

If I turn my steering wheel to the left, after half a turn I get a
'knock'
at the front end on the left.  It happens whether I am stationary or
moving
slowly but, due to road noise, I don't know if it happens at speed.

I've checked the steering and suspension components externally for
obvious
causes but can find nothing.  The best way I can describe the noise is
that
it's akin to a shaft being turned in a bush that is offering resistance
and
then it suddenly 'gives' . I hope that makes sense.  Is it possible for
the
front damper upper swivel assembly to bind up and suddenly release.  I'd
be
grateful for your thoughts.

Regards
Mike Stevenson

I had exactly the same problem.  It was the U-joint in the steering
wheel shaft.  A lot of spray lubricant fixed it and it hasn't
re-occurred for years.

Bruce Koehler
72 Stag (US Model)
Santa Cruz, Calif.