Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Taylor Book and Gas Cap

RE: Dean Cunningham <DeanC@domain.elided>
Subject: New Stag Book???
	Sounds like a new James Taylor book to me.  Perhaps an update of one of his
previous books such as "Triumph Stag" by James Taylor & Dave Jell.  This book
was first printed in hardback in 1993 by Windrow and Greene Automotive and is
one of the better books on our tempermental car.  The text portion of this
"older" book stops at 93 pages before another 20+ pages of production figures,
color photos and advertisments.  Earlier books by James Taylor on the Stag are
"Triumph Stag-Super Profile" (1983) through Haynes Publishing Group and
"Triumph Stag, 1970-1977" (1992), also by Windrow and Greene.  I have seen
various covers advertised for these books- perhaps depending on which
continent the title was intended for sale?  There is very little (if any)
overlap in the photos in these three Taylor books, so a rabid Stag-bit
sufferer should have them all.

	Another excellent softback title is "Triumph Stag" by Andrew Morland (1991)
printed by Osprey Publishing.  This book includes the standard history and a
number of excellent detail color photos of engines and production details
which will prove invaluable to hobbyist/restorers like ourselves.

	and, of course - Everyone should have a copy or two of the oft-released
Brooklands Books series of period magazine reviews and advertisements for the
Stag and the more recent (1990) "Triumph Stag Restoration" by Practical
Classics and the Kelsey Publishing Limited.

enough reading already!!  . . .
Let's go skin some knuckles1

***********

RE: Lawrence  G Miceli <lgmtr6@domain.elided>
Subject: Stag gas cap

	Yes - The early U.S. GT6 locking gas cap is the same as the early U.S. Stag
locking cap.  I would presume that this is true for at least some of the
models meant for other continents as well.  and if not, they should have been.
This gas cap is one of the "smarter" features of this car since the curves and
the chrome of this cap are just made for the Stag.

	Just be careful when you remove the  cylinder from the inside of the cap and
make sure that you don't fling the circlip across the garage (or car park or
something line that to you Brits)   You can then use the same key as your
ignition without pulling apart your steering column (and palying with some
live wires).  I believe that this was probably a frequent replacement in the
early days of the Stag (prior to the spread of "self service" gas stations)
(petrol to you Brits again)  In the earlier years, I had had to stop several
gas attendants as they tried to slam the cap shut as they expected a spring
loaded device to catch the cap.  This only bends the pin required to lock the
cap and makes it harder to close properly.  (smashingly to you Brits)  Anyway,
the repair of this cosmetic piece makes it easy to repair or replace the
gasket between the chrome and the body which is the hiding place for years of
white wax debris.

Gerry Uenaka
~San Jose, California
1971 Stag, Red, 4 spd, since 1977
unleaded since 1980, soon to be running when fuel flow
is restored to the carburators.