Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: Brake problems

With the caveat that you must be very careful when investigating/fixing
brake problems, here are my suggestions;

1)	If the pedal is hard and does not travel very far:- is the Servo
functioning correctly. In this case the brakes are ok just that you
require more pedal pressure for the same effect.
2)	Are the discs worn/uneven or to thin (been skimmed).
3)	Are the pads correct for the car:- not to small a surface area.
4)	With the pads removed can the pistons be pumped out of the
calipers and pushed back easily:- could be corroded pistons or bores (I
have seen some very nice stainless steel pistons at the shows). DO NOT
SPLIT THE CALIPERS!.
5)	Same as above for the slave cylinders:- do the pistons move
easily.
6)	Is all the pipe-work ok:- not blocked or dented.
7)	Are the rubber hoses ok:-  not bulging under pressure. (I prefer
stainless-steel braided hoses as these allow less expansion than
standard rubber hoses)
8)	Have the shoes or pads been contaminated by previous brake fluid
leaks:- replace them as they can not be cleaned properly and the oil
will severely reduce the frictional co-efficient of the material.

To often people look at uprating something on a car when; the standard
specification is fine, but the components are worn or damaged and just
need replacing or overhauling.

Please can we not start the silicon versus standard brake fluid
arguments again.

Richard  Brake
richard.brake@domain.elided

	Regarding the brakes, they don't feel spongy and the system does
not
	have a leak.  I'm not opening the brakes until I get the other
bits
	fixed.