Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Stag questions/parts wanted

In a message dated 22/02/1999 23:31:36 GMT Standard Time, sujitroy@domain.elided
writes:

> I was playing with the drivers side doom light door switch while the
>  battery was connected, sparks went flying and now the lights don't
>  work.  I checked all the fuses on the bulk head and they are all fine.
>   Is there another place that I should look for possible faults.  Are
>  there additional fuses somewhere hidden?

Hi
Welcome to the list
Can you explain a bit more about the above. What do you mean by doom lights.
Do you mean the light on the "B" post or the puddle light or both. Now the
lights do not work, is it the puddle light or the "B"post light that does not
work. What about the footwell lamp. What about the other side. Sorry but I
need all that before I can try to understand whats going on, or not going on
in your case. You may have a short behind the switch in the "A" post. Unlike
many cars this switch does not earth the courtesy lamps. It permits live
current to flow through to the lamps. You may have shorted this current to
earth and the lights will then not come on. You can easily unscrew the switch,
but its best to disconnect the battery first. Just undo and remove the earth
lead. It is a fairly straightforward arrangment.

"My passengers side electric window moves up and down very slowly.  I
intend to overhaul the system with WD-40 and grease.  Is there a
conditioner for the channels that the windows move up and down in."

Mine takes 4 secs down and 5 up with engine running. You can get special
grease for this but I wouldn't use WD40. Rover Dealers sell a product called
Krytox but its very expensive. Its for MGF windows. There is an equivalent
glass grease, ask your local factor.

Going on
Power Steering normally light, but just make sure there is no concrete slab in
the boot under the hardboard to stop snowy wheelspin, and ensure front tyres
are the right pressures.

Unless you are into serious DIY the Haynes is enough. If you want to strip
your Automatic gearbox, then you need the BL Manual AKM3966. Go to your local
City Library and look at Haynes and judge for yourself.

You have answers on seat belts. I can't add to that.

Brakes. Spongy, long pedal, not slowing you down? All could be different
problems. Air in fluid or old fluid most common. Leaky servo?  Take the oil
cap off with engine running. Does the engine note change. If not you have an
air leak somewhere. Could be the Servo.

Something for you to be getting on with.
Hope it was useful
Peter H