Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Clutch

In message , David Kirk <david@domain.elided> writes
>Dear Ian,
>
>My cluth too is a liitle variable. Sometimes I have to start in gear (either
>1st or reverse), and sometimes it works well, although I always have to push
>it right to the floor, and make sure the carpets don't bunch up underneath
>the pedal or it grinds the gears.
>
>So, I am intertested in following yout responses.
>
>Dave Kirk
>'72 Manual

Dave:
I have had that problem on both the Stag and an Innsbruck saloon I used
to own. My local friendly Norton (and Triumph when encouraged) mechanic
fixed it on the Stag about 15,000 miles ago by fitting a stronger
internal spring in the slave cylinder - the clutch now works beautifully
except for the problem I reported. Today have just been down to the
Stoneleigh show and had a drive round for about 60 miles with no
problems. I'm going to pretend it didn't happen. Also just filled up
with unleaded for the first time.....

Thanks also to Mike for your comments on the clutch - stuck centre plate
seems to be the most likely - but why after I had been driving for an
hour and a half, and why "unstick" itself?

Still if it wasn't for these questions we'd be bored wouldn't we.
--
Ian Soady