Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Clutch

Hi Ian

Sounds like a stuck centre plate to me.  Any sign or engine or gearbox oil
leaking out of the bellhousing?

If the master cylnder seal was leaking, you might get a somewhat lighter
feel and more travel, and this just could be intermittent.  There are not
going to be external leaks, but look for fluid escaping down the clutch
pedal.

Also check the clutch slave cylinder piston is connected to the middle hole
in the arm on the side of the bellhousing - this to give the right
compromise betwen pedal travel and pedal 'weight'.  In this position, the
clutch slip/engagement point should be well off the carpet.

Another possibility is the dreaded Stag 'shaky clutch' in which you get
excessive feedback through the pedal, this due to a distorted/worn pressure
plate and/or worn release bearing carrier but while you are in motion at
least, this should not stop you changing gear.

Yes, my Stag has just done 5,000 miles on unleaded, I have checked the
valve clearances (on one head) and they are still fine.  My engine has the
soft exhaust valves 148093, (not 155524 as used on the TR7 which was
declared by Rover to be suitable for unleaded)

Note that valves/seats have a lead 'memory' and according to the experts
this can last 5,000 miles or so, especially if driven gently.  However,
driven gently is not in my right leg's vocabularly and my Stag was driven
consistently at 80 plus, touching 100 including a 400 mile journey on the
German Autobahns - when for reasons I have still to resolve the overdrive
refused to kick in so it was driven at 4-5,000 revs for long periods.  The
overdrive reverted to normal next day and hasn't played up since.  I
therefore conclude that by now the lead 'memory effect has long-gone from
my Stag.

Note that Peter Howells has done over 10k with his Stag on unleaded,
although I don't know if anyone has looked at his valve clearances.

Mike Wattam
Chairman - Triumph Stag Register