Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Another tuppence worth

Some answers for Glen.

Trying to list manufacturers that produce good quality parts would be
very difficult.  Generally speaking manufacturers will not do a deal
with the general public, only trade companies, amd as I said in my
previous ramblings, it's all down to finding a good supplier that you
can trust.  In saying that there are still a lot of parts available from
Rover and Unipart, and wherever possible it is always worth buying
genuine items when available.

HEAD GASKETS

Genuine Payen gaskets will always be stamped with the Payen part number
which is AX650.  Payen also manufacture a thick head gasket but this is
very expensive.  There are some after market thick head gaskets which
should be avoided.  These are thick head gaskets that are bluey grey in
colour and another manufacturer uses what looks like an aluminium powder
coating.  If the gasket has stamped on it '8 990' and it is charcoal
grey in colour with a lacquer finish, then these gaskets are fine.

OIL PUMPS

At the moment neither new or reconditioned oil pumps are available.
However, new oil pumps will be available in 2-3 months.

Providing the oil pump body is not excessively worn, then there is no
reason why a repair kit cannot be fitted.

I have never had a problem with pressure relief valves binding and would
only recommend the use of original type spring.

Whilst on the subject of oil pumps, I personally do not recommend the
fitting of a Saab high pressure oil pump.  Excessive oil pressure can
cause premature wear to the timing chains and related parts as the
tensioners are oil pressure fed to tension the chains.  Too high an oil
pressure can also cause crankshaft bearing failures.

EU REGULATIONS

This will only affect major manufacturers.  Small manufacturers will
still carry on producing products without maintaining information
required by EEC.  In saying that there are many small manufacturers that
manufacture quality products, that will just totally ignore EU
regulations.

VALVES RE HUW JONES

It sounds as though your engine has had work carried out on it.  The two
different part numbers are just two different manufacturers of the
valves.  According to my catalogues, these valves are not suitable for
unleaded.

I would most certainly turn the pistons round and also check that the
con rods are the right way round.  I would also hone the cylinder bores
and fit new rings while you were there.

As far as head resurfacing is concerned, any good local machine shop
should be able to carry this out for you without any problems.

Tony Hart.

Tel: 0181 963 1080
Fax: 0181 963 0946
Web: www.hartrace.demon.co.uk