Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Rimmers Parts Quality

My experience with Rimmers has been that they are a pretty good parts
supplier, but could be much better. In October I placed a large order
through their internet site. When they sent me a confirmation, the total
was quite a bit higher than the web site prices so I asked by e-mail
about the differences. I quickly received a response, but most of the
items they listed were not different from the web site prices. It wasn't
until I received the shipping list that I was able to determine what had
changed. Therefore, there was no way to change my order because of price
changes by Rimmers.

For some reason, the shipment did not list or include the oil pump I had
ordered. I sent an e-mail noting this and asking for the new oil pump. I
received a rebuilt oil pump, instead. When I asked why, I was informed
that a new oil pump wasn't available. I did get a new oil pump from
another source and must send back the rebuilt one for credit. One of my
frustrations is that my original order was during their
no-shipping-charge special, but I was charged $15.00 for shipping the
rebuilt oil pump that I hadn't wanted, and I'll have to pay again to send
it back.

Several small items were backordered on my original order. It has been
three months and still no word on those items (which were charged to my
credit card). More than a week ago I e-mailed Rimmers to ask about the
backordered parts. I have not yet received a reply.

As anyone knows who has ordered from Rimmers, their packaging and
labeling of parts leaves much to be desired. It's a puzzle to figure out
which seal matches with which part number on the order form.

A few parts were not acceptable. Two of the valve guides had different
tolerances than the others, according to my machinist. Also, one of the
valves was knicked in a few places on the valve stem. These also are
being returned to Rimmers.

I'm confident there will be no problem receiving credit for the returned
parts. As I said, they are a good company; it's just that they could be
better. Therefore, I'll be trying others to see if I get better service.

Thomas Santee
'73 Stag, Eugene, Oregon

On 1/25/99 12:33 PM, Glenn Merrell sent this message:

>Hello Thomas,
>	I'd like to hear more about Rimmers substituting "rebuilt" for "new" parts.
>Personally, I've not yet had this experience with Rimmer.  I think
>everyone on
>the list could benefit, and considering Paddock is lower cost and aimed at
>quality ...
>
>Regards,
>Glenn  Merrell
>Triumph Stag Register USA VP
>*J*O*I*N**Y*O*U*R**L*O*C*A*L**T*R*I*U*M*P*H**C*L*U*B**T*O*D*A*Y*
>*Member of:
>*VTR, RMTC, TSC USA, TSR, SOC

Santee Young Public Relations - "Building Trust & Identity"
PO Box 12013, Eugene, OR 97440
Voice (541)345-2088 or (800)460-6452; Fax (541)345-2498
http://www.santeeyoung.com/