Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Wheels and Coachlines

Hi Alistair

WHEELS
You're right about the alloy wheels, they have been 'modified' by somebody.
 The only finish supplied out of the factory was bright aluminium with
black insets, the whole wheel then being covered in a clear lacquer.

If you want to reproduce the correct factory finish, for for durability all
paint should be removed and the insets painted black, same with the wheel
wells.  Then there are two alternatives.  Leave the bare aluminium to the
elements, or clear lacquer the mall over.

If you leave the aluminium 'bare', frequent polishing will be required to
preserve the original looks.

If you decide to clear lacquer them, first use a clear acid-etch primer, as
only by using this will you allow the lacquer to achieve a decent bond.
Otherwise you will get aluminium corrosion very quickly, forcing the
lacquer off and allowing the air to leak past the tyres.

COACHLINES
These should be fitted with the narrow line facing up.  The thick line only
is broken at the rear wheel arch, and both lines are broken deeply over the
front wheel arch.

What has happened is that Triumph discontinued the correct stripes many
years ago, these were correctly cut and individually part numbered so they
would be fitted correctly.  However, some not very smart supplier has
obtained lengths of stripes and now leaves it to the spray shop or owner to
cut the stripes to fit which is all very well if you know the correct
positioning, but clearly most people unfortunately don't.  Some suppliers
are even supplying stripes of the wrong width!

When and if you want the exact positioning and shape of the stripes, please
let me know as I have a Stag which I know is 100% original as it left the
factory.

Mike Wattam
Chairman - Triumph Stag Register