Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Grinding noise above 2800 rpm

 Gerry Djerrahian Wrote:

   I began to have a terrible grrrrr sound that comes up when
accelerating after 2800rpm.

 The jack shaft and water-pump are new including timing chains and
tensioners. I did have an unfortunate incident as I was driving to the
body shop last year where the water-pump gears got stripped. The engine
did overheat briefly. The heads are OK. I don't burn oil.  It never
overheats. I have no coolant leaks and the water temp gauge never goes
above 3/8.
You will probably get many hits on your request, and it is very
difficult to diagnose a fault without having a look at the car, but this
is a simple thing to check up on:
	The water pump gears got striped  --- Why?

	Could it have been that when the pump was ever replaced, the uprated
type was fitted (this also requires that the cover be replaced as well).
There are two types of covers, one for the old style pump and one for
the newer style. If the old type cover if fitted with the newer style
pump, then I would imagine that gears will strip.

	So, what could be causing this noise you here?

As the engine heats up, the blades of the pump are rubbing the pump
cover.

The above is just a guess, and I am not even sure that once the newer
style pump is fitted this will allow the older type cover to be placed
on, but it is easy enough to check into what type of pump was fitted and
to which cover was fitted.

Good Luck

Rodney Trout
72 Stag