Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Whats that for?

Hello Peter,

PGAHOWELLS@domain.elided wrote:

> Is it body colour or black?
> Do I need it?

	On Mark I's it could be gray, but it is most likely black to match the
radiator.  Not only does it keep air (albeit a little) diverted through the
radiator, but it will reduce road spray from entering there.  Do you need it?
That is up for speculation.  It is clear that the Mark I models only had a plate
there, and the Mark II models used this space to feed the newer style aircleaner
housing by replacing the plate with a fresh air intake duct.  If your aircleaner
is P/N 311252 with the twin tubes, air was taken from the engine bay anyway, and
this opening is so small that I doubt it would make any difference with cooler
air with a Mark I style Aircleaner.  If you are planning on showing your car for
judging, I 'd say yes, find one.  I'd imagine if you absolutely needed it, your
engine would have failed in some strange way by now, or the engine compartment
filled up with muck.  Rocket science must be applied here!  Bring on the
speculation!

Regards,
Glenn  Merrell
Triumph Stag Register USA VP
*Member of:
*VTR, RMTC, TSC USA, TSR, SOC
*
*"Keep Your Stag Cool, Install a NEW Composite Cowl Today"
*See it at the site below:
*http://pw1.netcom.com/~gmerrel/stagcowl001.html
*
*REGISTER YOUR STAG on the STAG DATABASE (courtesy of Dave Sims):
*http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town/square/gcj72/index.shtml
*
*Support your Local and National Triumph Clubs
*
*Vintage Triumph Register membership inquiry's:
*Andrew Mace, President
*http://www.vtr.org/brochure/membership-form.html
*
*Triumph Stag Club, USA membership inquiry's to:
*Bruce Krobusek, President
*Mike Coffey, Chairman; VTR Stag Vehicle Consultant
*mailto:brucekro@domain.elided
*
*Triumph Stag Register UK membership inquiry's to:
*Mike Wattam, Chairman
*mailto:101714.1343@domain.elided