Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: BW T-35 Auto Trans

Chuck wrote:

> Having located a shop capable of rebuilding my trans I find myself
> reluctant to do so. It seems a pity mating an ancient trans to such a
> lovely engine when the junkyards are filled with good/rebuildable U.S.
> and Japanese four speed auto's with lockup torque converter and RPM
> reducing top gear. I would think such a mod would extend engine life,
> MPG, and reduce noise, let alone a better shift transition.
>
> Has anyone experience with, heard of, or thoughts on this matter,
> including the ultimate kindness: advice it is either impossible or not
> worth the trouble? I hesitate embarking upon such an adventure "cold".
> Off the top of my head I'd think a bell housing adaptor and support mods
> would be required at the very least.
>
> My U.S. model, LE 7835 is otherwise original,
> and though I realize purists would regard it as abomination, it would be
> hidden.

Hello Chuck and all,

In the UK one of the solutions to the problem is a bolt-on conversion (no
chassis mods required) produced by Clive Tate and Russell Lewis. This
consists of a reconditioned German 4-speed auto box, having the advantages
you mention, a special casting to mate this to the Stag engine, a special
propshaft, and necessary speedo cable, downshift cable, gearshift linkage,
and rear mounting bracket. No special exhaust pipework is needed. I believe
the overall ratio in 4th is the same as the manual with overdrive.

None of the existing parts are required in part exchange, so you can remove
them and refit in future should you wish to return the car to original
specification.

I bought a kit earlier this year, which will be fitted to my car shortly in
the course of its restoration. Mine was the 22nd kit they have produced.
Although I've not had a chance to see how it performs yet, I have spoken to
one or two people who have it and they are pleased with how it performs.

The kit is sometime advertised in the Stag Owners' Club magazine, though I
haven't seen it recently. However, I spoke to Russell a few weeks ago and
understand that they are intending to produce another batch in the near
future - I think they get most sales by word-of-mouth. When I bought mine
the cost was £1,600 (UK pounds) plus shipping. I believe they have sold a
few elsewhere in Europe, not sure about anywhere further afield.

The contact phone numbers are:

Clive Tate +44 (0)1386 870822
Russell Lewis +44 (0)121 445 1608

Regards,