Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Unleaded Petrol

Hello Ian,
	As to the question of hardened seats vs not, it is a crap shoot.  Regarding the
use of unleaded, you might want to visit the VTR Web site
http://www.vtr.org/maintain/valve-seats.html
for an article titled "Triumph Valve Seat Recession and Unleaded Fuel" by B.
John Mitchell, designer of the Rover/Buick 3.5L V8 engine, written 15 March
1996.

	You may experience a hotter running temperature since unleaded burns hotter.
Expect a reduction in power and throttle response.

	Warning signs, well, if a valve burns through, the engine will misfire under
load.  In my humble  inexperienced opinion, I do not believe you are going to
have a problem unless you race the car and keep the rev's up over 5k RPM.

	Timing will need to be slightly retarded a few degrees from spec.  UK spec is
12 degrees advance (Before Top Dead Center BTDC), where in the US, timing is
more like 6-8 degrees BTDC.  You may need to experiment a bit depending on your
fuel preference and driving habits.  I advance the timing until it pings, then
back it off a couple of degrees, my preference.

In My Humble Opinion, yours for Speculation...

Happy Holidays,
Glenn  Merrell
Triumph Stag Register USA VP

"Keep Your Stag Cool, Install a NEW Composite Cowl Today"
See it at the site below:
http://pw1.netcom.com/~gmerrel/stagcowl001.html

REGISTER YOUR STAG on the STAG DATABASE (courtesy of Dave Sims):
http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town/square/gcj72/index.shtml

Support your Local and National Triumph Clubs

Vintage Triumph Register membership inquiry's:
Andrew Mace, President
http://www.vtr.org/brochure/membership-form.html

Triumph Stag Club, USA membership inquiry's to:
Bruce Krobusek, President
Mike Coffey, Chairman; VTR Stag Vehicle Consultant
mailto:brucekro@domain.elided

Triumph Stag Register UK membership inquiry's to:
Mike Wattam, Chairman
mailto:101714.1343@domain.elided