Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: SUs

Duncan Miller wrote:

> Can I put 2 inch H-8 SUs on the stag? Dose the tipping of the float
> bowls cause a problem?
>
> Duncan 1971 Stag

I would think 2 inch would be excessive.  Realistically, how much power
do you expect to produce?  And don't think that simply swapping carbs is
going to make an enormous difference.

The Stag, in standard trim, cams, valves, cylinder head ports, exhaust,
is good for what, 150 horses?  A pair of 1 3/4 SUs will more than serve,
where as I'd have to expect that 2" would need to be run with very lean
needles.

And I suspect that a pair of 1 3/4" would bolt right on.  Take a look at
a Rover V8.

Re the float bowls, the angle compared to the carb body, on HS's, is set
by a spacer that turns the bowl to vertical.  Again, look at a Rover
V8.  And the linkage on the Rover might be just what you need.

Kevin Harrop
'73 Stag w/ Datsun Z engine
Los Angeles