Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Timing chains

Itried to post the following some time ago but it seems to have become
lost in the Sarfasso of the Internet. Any observations?
In message , PGAHOWELLS@domain.elided writes
<snip>
>Regular oil changes are necessary to ensure the
>timing chains are adequately lubricated to prevent wear and stretching and
>overextending the hydraulic tensioners.
>
>I think the main weakness is the absence from the service schedules of the
>frequency of timing chain checks or changes. I have heard change of chains at
>25000 miles recomended. Mine were checked at 23000, and there was zero wear,
>no excess play and no over extension of the tensioners. So I suppose they can
>go 100,000 miles. If they are not changed in time, something goes horribly
>wrong. I am not sure what it is. I have been told the tensioners pop out of
>their housings, chains go slack and jump cogs leading to all sorts of
>expensive mischief. It is a pity there is no way to check the tensioners
>without removing the front plate, a big job.
<snip>
I am getting to be a little concerned about whether I should be
concerned about my timing chains. Now done 23,000 miles since I bought
it in June 1997, which was approx 4,000 since engine rebuilt "by a chap
who rebuilds racing engines". There is absolutely no noise from the
chains, engine hot or cold - in fact it seems to run better by the
month. Can I tell whether the German chains (which I am told snap
without warning) are fitted without removing the front cover? I have
become rather cynical about the many horror stories as I am happily
doing a monthly mileage greater than many people's annual distance.
--
Ian Soady

--
Ian Soady