Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Ignition Timing

Fereday, Chris wrote:

> Hi,
> Sorry to bother everyone with a question that has probably been asked
> several times before...
> but I want to check the ignition timing on my MKII Stag (1975). It has a
> Lumenition Unit fitted, but I appear to be suffering from 'low down pulling
> power'. Its not 'pinking' so I suspect the timing may be retarded.
> Which ignition lead do I connect my strobe gun to (I've seen references to
> issues cyl 2 instead of cyl 1) and what timing mark do I 'aim for'?

Chris,

The other thing to check that I forgot to mention in my last post is
that the vacuum advance is working. You can do this by disconnecting the
pipe from the carbs, suck on it to see if the top distributor plate
moves. Also suck on it and then put your tongue over the end of the pipe
if the plate gradually moves back to it's resting position then you have
a leak either in the pipe or the diaphragm of the vacuum advance unit.

Dave.
--
	Dave Biggs
	Senior Design Engineer