Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: TR-6/Stag Engine Conversion

With my Stag which I converted back from being a 2.5PI the Alternator
was left in the standard position and the wiring loom was extended to
reach it. This had the standard Saloon/Estate (Sedan) sump and the
engine bolted straight onto the Auto box.

Manual or O/D box's would be more involved as the input shafts are
longer (owing to the Stag adapter plate, a horrible piece of engineering
personally). If manual you'd probably have to use the TR/Saloon gearbox
or get the Input shaft on the Stag box changed (Also involved). The
gear-stick (shifter) is in the same position.

With this conversion the wiring for the starter needs moving as the
starter motor is now on the "CORRECT" side (as far as the gearbox is
concerned)

The power-steering setup used components from Saloon/Estate (Sedan). All
that was required was the engine Front-End Plate and Pump Bracket. Any
PAS Saloon/Estate have these.The Hydraulic pipes are different lengths
but the Pump and Rack are the same.

This looks like an easy conversion to do/undo as the car was designed
around the straight six originally. But for power purposes you'd have to
use either a PI (Petrol Injection) or Triple Weber set-up or maybe 2 x
175 Stromberg / Fast road Cam / 6-3-1 or 6-2 extractor manifold. I did
hear that some 2.5PI TR5's made it to the states as "private" imports?

Richard  Brake
richard.brake@domain.elided