Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Stag MkII air cleaner gaiter problems

---------------------- Forwarded by Guy Grunwald/Network/energyAustralia/AU
on 27/10/98 01:54 PM ---------------------------

Guy Grunwald
27/10/98 01:48 PM

To:   Tim Buja <buja@domain.elided>
Subject:  Re: Stag MkII air cleaner gaiter problems  (Document link not
      converted)

Tim

I know that the purists will cringe in horror at this story, still it is an
option for you and in any case works as a temporary repair.

When my gaiter perished, in both senses of the word, I obtained an old tyre
inner tube from a tyre repair shop at zero cost.  I cut a patch out of this
tube which I carefully glued using some neoprene adhesive into the right
sized tube to bridge the gap between the intake duct and air cleaner box.
The tube has a thick wall and will not get sucked into anything and if you
put the join to the bottom it even looks reasonable.  If you cut the tube
too short you can secure it to the intake duct and air cleaner box using
those plastic ties.

I fully intend to replace this 'bodge' with the correct part eventually,
but in the mean time it has performed faultlessly for 1.5 years.

Guy Grunwald

Tim Buja <buja@domain.elided> on 27/10/98 11:53:44 AM

cc:    (bcc: Guy Grunwald/Network/energyAustralia/AU)
Subject:  Stag MkII air cleaner gaiter problems

I purchased a new gaiter from Rimmer Bros. last year to replace the old
gaiter that had split and cracked in several places.  This is the
rectangular rubber piece (p/n 156028 on page 05-06 of the Stag repair
parts manual, rev D April 78) that connects the upper section of the
air cleaner to the intake duct that draws air from in front of the
radiator.  After only 6500 miles, I've found that the new gaiter has
already split on the corrugations.  On two occasions since my engine
rebuild, I've found the gaiter turned inside out and sucked inside the
rectangular duct that holds the intake air temperature control flap
valve.

Has anyone experienced similar problems with this rubber gaiter or have
another source for this part?  I didn't really expect the new part to
fail after only one season...

Tim Buja - Rockford, Illinois, USA - 80 TR8, 73 Stag, 72 TR6