Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: Body repairs

Hi Richard,

Here are a couple of links to snaps of the work done on the bottom
corner of my windscreen.
Thought they may give you some idea of what to do
Note the drip rail on the A pillar has been removed.
The drip rail was welded at the top and braised at the bottom and had
sealant between it and the A Pillar.
The repair has been done in metal and the result you see (in dbc104.jpg)
has no filler in it.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/deancunningham/dbc302.jpg
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/deancunningham/dbc104.jpg

It is definitely a layered approach to fix. You will probably need to
remove the front guard. The only reason I see to remove the windscreen
would be for heat reasons when welding.

As for Zinc primering, Wurth do a paint that is designed for welding
(the white stuff in dbc302.jpg). Not cheap, but I have had it used for
every welding application on the stag.

FWIW my restoration is now at that tough stage......... what colour to
paint it!!

decisions... decisions

cheers

deanc

>Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 11:33:25 +0100
>From: Richard Hudson <richard.hudson@domain.elided>
>Subject: Body repairs
>

>Next I need to concentrate on the screen pillars. PO has effected some
>repairs to the base of the screen pillars but I am not confident about
>the quality of work.
>
>When I had the dash out, I could see no further rot but now I would like
>to do the job properly. There are no repair panels as far as I can see
>and I have heard that the area can be a pig to sort properly, I am sure
>that the rot is very localised as the surrounding area is not only
>magnetic but also survived the "Richard's screwdriver" test.
>
>What gauge of steel should I use for the repair and what other tips and
>tricks can anybody offer? I am going to have to remove the screen as I
>want to sort out that rust bubble that keeps coming back. What sort of
>nightmares am I likely to expect? I guess that I should also use a nice
>zinc based primer before painting.

This e-mail is  not an  official  statement of  the
Waikato  Regional  Council unless otherwise stated.