Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re:Overdrive Question

ate: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 15:46:50 -0500
From: cdemps@domain.elided (Dempsey, Charles)
Subject: Found another '73. Overdrive question.

Question: Did any of the Stags imported into the US have overdrive? If
so, where is the switch and what does it look like?

	Yes, Mine is a 72 and is fitted with the A type overdrive, and the
switch is located on top of the shift knob.

Question: What overdrive unit goes on a Stag? Anybody got one for sale?

	I am not certain if the TR-6 used the same overdrive ( check part
numbers ). The transmission on the stag looks like the one on a TR-6;
however, the internals are different. I assume this is for the increased
torque generated by the stag engine. If the stag and the TR-6 use the
same overdrive, then a good source would be TRF in the US ( they don't
stock stag parts, but if any part is used another model that is also
used on the stag - then they should have it).

	As your car is a 73, the type of overdrive origionally fitted would be
the J-type. I suggest that if you are going to keep the car and rebuild
it, you should get a copy of the parts catalog; it has been a great help
to me in my rebuild projects.

Good Luck

Rodney Trout
72 Stag