Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Distributor wrench

To Mike Wattam
cc et al

The distributor mounting bolts on my car are 1/4 inch UNF, which is also the
size which I said was written in the workshop manual.  The spanner for a 1/4
UNF bolt has an across the flats measurement of 7/16ths inch. If you had read
the note you would have seen I quoted the bolt size from the workshop manual.
I am assuming that not everyone has the workshop manual. I am also assuming,
and this I agree may be unwise, that everybody knows that the UNF and UNC bolt
dimensions in the Stag Workshop manual are the diameter of the threaded part,
and not the across flats sizes. In my local tool shop, it seems most of those
hard to find (Not in Halford/MDC/etc) UNF and UNC bolts on the Stag engine etc
are in stock and when asking for spanners the bolt size is the base data. On
some of my spanners the bolt size is actually written, ie 1/4 inch stamped
into the shank of the spanner which is 7/16 across flats. ( 7/16 AF)

Peter Howells

Also in plentiful stock in local tool shop are TN3207  Nyloc 1/4 UNF nuts
recently on back order from Rimmer and not any more in the Halfords range.