Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Howdy Folks!

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Lillja <Chris_Lillja@domain.elided>
To: stag-digest@domain.elided <stag-digest@domain.elided>
Date: Tuesday, September 29, 1998 2:18 PM
Subject: Howdy Folks!

Hey there,

I'm a regular on the Triumphs mailing list and I've been lurking on this one
ever since I
learned that I'm going to be a father....

Anyway, even though I'll never give up my TR, I need a Triumph with a
backseat and I
really love Stags. After I divest my various Spifire bitz and my Norton
Commando 850,
I'll be Stag shopping.

I know the various pitfalls of Stag engines so I won't bring you down with
the usual
questions about that topic. And I won't ask about how hard is it to fit a
Rover V8
ect.... (the last guy I spoke to wanted to bail out cheap on a "partial" V6
conversion--
yikes! Ford 2.6 -- at least he could have gone with a Buick or a Rover
V8)...of course
I'd rather have an OHC Triumph V8! (Someday I'd like to convert one back!)

But say I find a nice Stag -- but it's an (ailing) automatic? Do people ever
convert to
TH350 or TH700 like Jag people sometimes do? Do the BW (35?) 's work
decently enough?

The BW T35 a faily common transmission (especially in the lift truck
world)and you can get them rebuilt for about $200.00 US.  If you decide to
get a quote from a tranny shop do not tell them the car it came from is a
Stag they will quote you a price of around 450 to 600 dollars (voice of
experience) just tell them it's a BW T35.

Can the master cyl/servo be rebuilt by say..... Apple Hydraulic?

Anyone ever up date the A/C with a modern compressor and R134?

You can change your a/c over to R134 but you have to do three things.  One
you have to change the dryer to a R134 compatible version which can be had
at your local NAPA store.  Two you need to change the  oil in your
compressor to a R134 compatible oil if it is a new compressor it should
already be R134 compatible but you need to check the tag on the compressor.
Three you need to install the R134 version fittings for filling and
vacuuming the system, the fitting closest to the inner fender needs to be a
90 degree angle fitting.  All these parts are available at you local NAPA
store.  I changed my system over this year and it is putting out air at
about 55 to 60 degrees F for about one third of the cost of an a/c shop
doing the change over.

I've read all the commonly available info on the net, but if anyone has any
further words
of wisdom feel free to chime in.....

Chris I bought my Stag for the same reason you are looking at one and it is
wonderful.  You can put you kid in the back seat and have space to carry all
the stuff (junk)that comes with him.    Its nice to go on a family outing in
a sports car instead of the family station wagon.

Ralph Vrana 73 Stag

Thanks.

Chris Lillja
Spit MkIV