Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: Close call and 20/20 hindsight

Mike

My mum used to have a TR7 and she was always complaining about an
intermittent buzzing noise coming from under the bonnet. Well to cut a
long story short my and my dad had a sniff about but couldn't see
anything wrong so we ignored her and put it down to her hearing.

Anyway, one day, she came running into the house in a blind panic
claiming that her TR7 was on fire up the road. I grabbed a fire
extinguisher and ran back up the road to see mums car enveloped in a
cloud of steam. I could smell the antifreeze from 20 paces. I lifted up
the bonnet and apart from water everywhere there seemed to be nothing
obviously wrong, until I noticed one of the hoses had worn through where
it had made contact with the alternator fan... hmmm.

One new hose, a tie wrap and some antifreeze and she was back on the
road again.. But none to impressed with either my dad or me for our 1st
class diagnosis.

Regards

Richard Hudson
73 Auto White Stag