Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: dipstick and tubes.

Brian A.Tink wrote:

> Richard
>
> I would get too excited about a slight over fill.  When the engine is running if the truth is known there is probably only a litre in the sump at any time, the rest scattered through the engine.
>
> Overfil comes when there is too much in the sump and the crank starts to splash in it.
>
> Another sympton of under fill is going around a tight corner, usually to the left, and have the oil pressure guage fall away.
>
> If as you say the measured amount takes it  to a point between the 2 marks then I  would still fill it to the top mark as you probably have been doing all along.

Brian,

I would have thought that most of the 5 litres would remain in the sump
whilst the engine is running with maybe a litre around the rest of the
engine. Looking at the oilways in the block and heads there doesn't seem
to be much area to put 4 litres of oil !

I thought that the crank was meant to splash in the oil and that this is
how the bores are lubricated ?

Just my two-pence worth !

Regards,

Dave.