Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Propogating Stag Mis-Information

Hello All,

    I've had a discussion this past week with some noted Stag experts,
and several comments were made about incorrect information and
mis-information being supplied to the Stag list by various list
members.  There is a great potential to cause harm in disseminating
incorrect information by offering repair solutions for an owners car.
No names were offered, and I hope that I have not been a source for any
such mis-information.  In the event I have caused damages resulting from
my recommendations, please accept my apologies.  I will defer requests
only to the experts in the future.

    I make a great attempt to provide information substantiated either
by my direct personal experience working on Triumphs since age 13, then
at a BL dealership as a lot mechanic when a 1970 Mark I Stag arrived
first  in their showroom, directly from the ROM, or from standard
accepted repair practices.  I've had a lot of oil drained down my arm
from Heralds, Spitty's, Gt's,  TR4/250/6 and Stags, MG's, Jags,
Austin's, Rovers, as that was my primary job at the dealership...the
grease monkey, and, busted my knuckles on many a bolt and nut!  The
come from my personal experiences while working at a US British Leyland
Dealership as a kid in high school.  This dipstick incident in
particular, blame was pointed on me allegedly for knocking out the
dipstick tube during an oil change, and sliding the stop down the
dipstick to compensate for the missing part.  I almost lost my job over
the incident.  One of the mechanics was a Brit, factory trained from
British Leyland, looked at the dipstick and hole, called back to the
factory, verified that indeed there were some engines assembled without
dipstick tubes that came to the US, and a new tube and dipstick was
dispatched to upgrade the owners car.  I kept my job, got an apology
from the dealership owner, and a six pack of beer from the mechanic (who
drank all but two cans!), and I still have the scar in my right index
finger knuckle from the exhaust manifold burn.  I admit, I have zero
experience on any other BL model except those in the US, and I am far
from a journeyman or master mechanic.

    There are, however,  people who should be relied upon for their
great expertise and knowledge, those who have greater knowledge than
most of us combined, even more than those who have become intimate with
virtually every nut bolt and washer from a full concours restoration.

    Tony Hart of Hart Racing Services, Mike Coffey, Chairman of the
Triumph Stag Club in the US, Mike Wattam Chairman of the Triumph Stag
Registry in the UK, Mike Allen, technical Advisor of the SOC UK, are, in
my opinion, the best authorities on the Stag.  All other information,
unless substantiated by someone who has or does work on numerous Stags
for a living, or was a former Triumph/BL factory, supplier or Dealership
employee, should be taken for what is is, just an opinion.  It should be
noted that even the experts have their own controversies agreeing on an
appropriate fix or procedure.

Therefore, I propose that opinions offered on this list should be
substantiated and qualified with:
-In my opinion..., -from my direct experience..., -the ROM states (which
is also suspect information)..., -so-n-so from the Triumph Factory told
me personally..., -Tony Hart recommends, -our club has had a
presentation from...-I have a technical position letter from..., etc.

Lastly, if advice is given over this digest that, when followed as to
the instructions given, causes damage to someone's car, or is found to
be incorrect, it is extremely important, imperative that the
mis-information be identified as incorrect by someone in the know, or,
the person applying the advice finds it is incorrect should post their
findings and results as soon as possible.

So, as a result, henceforth I will be limiting my contribution to this
list, deferring to the named expert sources.  Like stated to me, when it
ceases to be fun, I'm outa-here.

Regards,
Glenn Merrell