Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Oil level

Steven

Good morning to you from Canberra.

To answer your questions.

The manuals do not tell you how long the dip stick should be so I do not
have any info to tell me.  Also what I do know is that the tube into which
the dip stick goes is a little loose in the block and it is possible for it
to come out when removing the stick, so this leads me to suspect whether
this is the genuine article.  So in other words if this is out of another
car and is too short then the stick goes in further and therefore less oil
if filled as p[er the marks.

What I did was drain the oil and fit a new filter, the manual tells you how
much oil is required and so I measured it and put in that amount.  Ran the
engine so as to fill the filter, let is sit for a few hours and in my case
the oil level was higher than the marks on the dip stick, so with a
triangular file I remarked it.

I then noticed that my oil pressure increased, both at running and at idle.

As for the Type/brand, I would not get too worried about this, VDO is one
brand avail here in OZ, but any good auto parts place would have reliable
guages.  Mine is attached at the rear right banks where the sender is for
the warning light. Most guages will come with a "T" piece which will allow
you to remove the sender and insert the "T" and reconnect the sender and
the guage.

The problem that you have is the warning light sender maybe RS.  If your
oil pressure is still low as per the guage, then maybe think of replacing
the oil pump, moving to a thicker oil particularly in summer, but first up
check the amount of oil in the system.

keep staggering  Brian