Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Brakes

On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, David Kirk wrote:

> Andrew and all,
>
> I have heard of these presure bleed systems. What are they like? Do they
> work? How much do they cost and where do you get them from? Can they do the
> clutch as well?

The pressure is supplied usually from a spare tyre.  The secret of success is
to make sure you use a very low pressure (5 -10 psi max) and get a perfect
seal on the cap to the fluid reservoir.

If you use too much pressure you can blow the seal between the reservoir and
the master cylinder and if you do not get a good seal on the cap you get brake
fluid all over your nice paintwork.

Given that you address the above two points my experience with these kits is
good. You can buy them at any Halfords or motor accessories shop - they must
be about 12 -15 pounds. They will do the clutch as well but obviously with a
different cap.

For difficult to bleed systems there is no alternative to using this form of
bleeding but for simple systems eg the stag I prefer just to use a normal non
return valve.

Regards

Graham Nicholson