Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: Spin on filters

Hi Al

I went for one of these adapters because I was fed up with
Oil-up-my-sleeve every time that I changed the oil (hmm once a year was
a real drag). There seems to be a lot of mixed views on the adapters out
there.

Some people claim that there is an oil bypass in the unit that should
not be. Apparently on some units the oil can flow past the inner o-ring
and bypass the filter all together. I checked mine and it seems pretty
tight so I am not worried.

I have had lots of problems with it however. Because of a fault in the
original outer o-ring, oil leaked from the engine block, so I had to
trash a perfectly good filter to get it off and tighten it up again.
This actually happened twice, until I very carefully applied a dab of
thread lock to the bolt, I think that the action of loosening the old
filter was also loosening the adapter.

The other thing that I noticed was that I had defeated the original
purpose of 	buying the unit because the only way to remove an old
filter is to stab it with a screwdriver and twist it off. I reckon that
I'm getting more oil up my sleeve than with the old system.

I'm changing the oil on my Stag again this weekend (annual service), and
guess what, I bought a paper filter.

Anyone want a Rimmer Bros. Spin-on oil filter adapter?

Regards

Richard Hudson
73 Auto White Stag