Stag/Stag Digest Archive

clutch problem need help

Hi Ralph

Unfortunately the clutch problem you refer to is fairly common, and there
is no reasonably priced 'off the shelf' answer at the moment.

What has happened, is that the clutch diaphragm is slightly distorted and
the diaphragm fingers are pushing the sliding bearing carrier off-centre on
the gearbox spigot housing, sometimes if the either spigot housing or the
bearing carrier are worn or lipped, they bind up particularly when hot, so
will not release the clutch.

This problem would be resolved if the manufacturer would continue to make
the diaphragms to original quality - which they clearly do not, even though
they say they do.  I suspect the clutches are coming from a very cheap far
east source and the UK 'manufacturers' are merely re-labelling them and
hoping for the best - in vain it seems although I would say "only" 1 new
clutch in 20 suffers badly from this..

So, I'm afraid there is only one simple solution at the moment, and that is
to refit your old pressure plate if you still have it and it is in fair
condition.

Various attempts have been made to sort this out long term in the UK.  This
varies from fitting different makes of clutch components including Valeo,
Fichtel & Sachs etc., with variable results.  One more radical solution
involves fitting a Land Rover pressure plate, because this has a rubbing
plate fitted over the diaphragm so any inequality in the diaphragm fingers
is more or less cancelled out by the plate.  Unfortunately this mod also
involves modifying the release bearing carrier to suit the Land Rover
release bearing, and also shortening the carrier so there is enough travel
on it.  But can be done.  The resultant clutch is nice and light, and
smooth with feel.

Hope this helps

Mike Wattam
Triumph Stag Register